Copyright © 2017, Paul Scrivens-Smith

Copyright © 2017, Paul Scrivens-Smith

All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the creator.

Sunday, 10 December 2017

American Civil War: Confederates (4)


A dozen Perry Miniatures dismounted Confederate cavalry and a water cart from Warbases. I almost had the Confederates completed in time for last weeks blog update, but I never got a chance to get them done so they made this weeks cut.

First up, two packs of the Confederate dismounted cavalry. I did these in a mix of colours, the darker grey is from a base of Vallejo Luftwaffe Uniform and the lighter grey from a base of Neutral Grey. The butternut is a mix of Flat Earth and German Camo Beige. 



As usual, after I block in the base-coats I give the figures a sepia wash and then re-apply the base-coat and then add a couple of highlights to them. As with all Perry Miniatures metals they are well sculpted figures, badly let down in the mould making stage. I do wish they would start using somebody else to cut their moulds.



Next I added a water card from warbases, Mrs Scrivs is a star and bought this for me as a gift and gave it me yesterday, a quick assembly, priming, base-coat of Chocolate Brown followed by a quick sepia wash was done and this morning I highlighted and varnished ready for inclusion in today's post.



It shall come in really useful for our Sharp Practice games, either as scenic scatter or specifically as a water cart that is an option available to the troops.

Sunday, 3 December 2017

American Civil War: Confederates (3)



This week sees the completion of the first box of Perry Miniatures Confederate Infantry. These last twelve figures comprise the officers, sergeant, colour party and a handful that I made up as skirmishers using the spare arms from the skirmishers frame from the Union that I had done earlier.


It's a shame that the there are no specific Confederate skirmishers in this set, but it's to be understood that this set only needed two frames tooling while the Union set required three.

The first officer used parts from the Confederate command frame, plus the drawn sword from the Union command frame.



The second officer is a bit of a mash-up, having lost his hat and sword he advances pistol drawn. The hat-less hair is from the Union frames as is the left arm.



The drummer-boy was made using the standard components from the Confederate command frame.



The sergeant again is standard components from the Confederate infantry frame with just painted in 'stripes'. I'll likely need to do a couple more of these when I next make up a box.


This is the box completed with the addition of the single Foundry Victorian explorer painted as a separate officer.


On the painting table at the moment I have a dozen dismounted Confederate cavalrymen nearing completion and have just made a start on some mounted Union cavalry.

Polemos WSS Bash


Thursday saw the first game in a long time for the Madison Tea & Crumpets Wargames Club. The post few meets have been painting sessions and I've had a Thursday away on business, so some die rolling was long overdue.


I set up a couple of forces comprising an Anglo-Dutch force and a slightly smaller French force (must do more painting), both sides comprised six divisions each of two brigades - this was to be rather an undoing.


Drew and Seth took the French, we bolstered all their horse to Veterans to make up for the lack of numbers while I took the Anglo-Dutch, Bruce would turn up later and help out with my troops.

Both sides started quite cagey and were building up the tempo before committing any troops to the battle. After a few turns of ineffective cannon fire both sides felt that they had the tempo for a general advance and soon they were advancing towards each other.


The first clashes appeared on the Dutch left, where two divisions of horse clashed, being of better quality the French held the upper hand, but the Dutch did not give way so easily and made some headway of their own.

The supporting Dutch foot were soon into combat and although most of the fire that rippled along the front line was desultory, one crashing volley caused one French battalion to immediately flee the field.


On the Dutch right the horse had eventually come to grips but this, as expected almost immediately started gong the way of the French.

 


The cavalry clash on the left was reaching a crescendo, both leading brigades had each lost a unit of horse and some other units were shaken, so it was time to test for morale. The Dutch quite easily passed theirs, but it was a calamity for the French.

The first brigade of horse rolled a six for their morale test and decided to quit the field, as half or more of the brigades in the division were broken the entire division quit the field. To make things worse, Drew rolled a six for the Critical Morale Test and lost a half of his morale markers!



It got worse, testing for the three battalion infantry brigade that had lost a single battalion, drew again rolled a six, that brigade was also quitting the field and taking the division with it. Another six on the Critical Morale Test saw the French army collapse and the Dutch claim the day.

Rather an anti-climax, the Dutch had only one one unit and the French two!


 Next week we are having our fist crack at Battletech after over a year, hopefully Drew will have much better luck then! And I'll get to play with those Mechs I painted over a year ago and did nothing with.