Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the creator.

Wednesday 27 August 2014

When eBay gives you lemons - paint Falangista!


Back in May I got rather carried away with an eBay auction for two lots of Empress Miniatures Spanish Foreign Legion and ended up paying about 90% retail like a div! So, the figures arrived and were counted to ensure the 33 figures were all there. I then ordered from Empress a pack each of Spanish Foreign Legion Officers and LMG teams to make up the platoon then put the lot in my 'to paint soon' pile.

On Sunday I decided to get these out and start cleaning them up, what an arse! Of the 33 figures in the eBay 'deal' there was not a single Spanish Foreign Legion model at all. I had 28 Falange, three Republican Militia and two Condor Legion figures, I will repeat 'Arse!'

Three months have passed and it's far too late to complain to the seller or raise an eBay case so I just decided to get on with it and get them painted. I already have a sizeable collection of Falange, these additional 28 will give me two more Falange of 15 to add to the Centuria. So I decided to make a start on those first. Over the past few days I have completed three batches of six and finished the bases this evening on them all, so the first eighteen are done.

I used my standard Falange scheme, just adding a bit of variance to the blanket and haversack colours.



I have also made a start on the last ten Falangista, five are base-coated and washed, the other five are still being base-coated, I hope to get them done this weekend in time for the game at Partizan.

Speaking of which, chum Mog has made us rather a snazzy couple of posters.




So, despite the bad eBay deal it's not too much of a loss, I do have 33 lovely figures to paint, plus the additional eight that I bought to go with them. Also, my Centuria of Falangista is now much larger and may fare better in our games for the additional numbers, they have not been having a good run of late. The Condor Legion and Republican Militia will all get painted and used too.

Here are a few more close-ups. I did give a coat of Vallejo Matt Varnish, but they still seem a bit glossy.







No comments:

Post a Comment