Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the creator.

Monday 20 August 2012

Twelve games in seven days and then Axes

Victoria has been away for a couple of weeks visiting family in Fulham, so I have been pretty much off the leash as far as gaming goes. In the space of seven days I have fitted in 12 games:

Friday 10th August: Britcon - 1 game of WAB against Grahame

Saturday11th August: Britcon - 3 games of WAB against Tony, Edwards and John

Sunday 12th August: Britcon - 2 games of WAB against Johnny
Monday 13th August: Off work, a day off work so two games of Oregon and one game of Ming Dynasty with Steve who also has the day off to recover from Britcon.
Tuesday 14th August: Club night, a game of Saga with John and Tom, tom has blogged this one here.
Thursday 16th August: Club night, a game of BlitzKreig Commander with Greg and Ben
Friday 17th August: Off work so a game of WWI naval with Steve who also has the afternoon off

So twelve games in seven days, can a body take it. Well our finely tuned athlete had also entered the Axes WAB tournament in Rushden on the Saturday. One final push.

It would be a 2100pt event using armies from Armies of Antiquity in a 'Viking Age' event. I decided that I would use my Christian Spanish as Normans and took the following list:



12 Norman Knights 555pts
Sword, Thrusting Spear
Heavy Armour, Shield, Warhorse
Leader, Musician, Standard. Shock Cavalry, First Charge


12 Norman Knights 555pts
Sword, Thrusting Spear
Heavy Armour, Shield, Warhorse
Leader, Musician, Standard. Shock Cavalry, First Charge


12 Norman Knights 555pts
Sword, Thrusting Spear
Heavy Armour, Shield, Warhorse
Leader, Musician, Standard. Shock Cavalry, First Charge


9 Breton Knights 334pts
Sword, Throwing Spear, Javelins
Light Armour, Shield
Leader, Musician. Feigned Flight, Unreliable


9 Skirmishers 54pts
Sling
Skirmishers


6 Skirmishers 42pts
Bow
Skirmishers

The Norman horde
Game one was against Tony with Vikings in a River Crossing. I managed to beat up quite a few Vikings and capture one of the river crossings while Tony only killed a few skirmishers, but did capture a crossing point. I won this one 38:26

Tonys Vikings

In the next game it was to be a Pitched Battle against Justins Normans to the death (break-point), or two and a half hours. I played really well for seven turns avoiding combat with his superior forces, and mopping up his weaker units and then took my eye of the ball (bloody break-point). In the end it was a 32-0 for Justin. 



Justin, with golden dice boy 'Nathan'

The last round was an Appelido game against Paul with his Saxons. I would be the Raider. It was quite a slow paced game, Paul would not come out of his shield-wall and so I would not charge him. After the allotted six turns I had killed a unit of Viking skirmishers and lost nothing, but Paul had not managed to get any troops near to the booty markers so it was a 22:10 win to me.

Paul and Debbie


I don't know my final placing, but I do know that I did win the Best Army painting competition, so I'm very happy with that.

Best painted award

I've also tweeted my progress on Saturday and that can be found by following @thatchapscrivs.













1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul

    You came a solid 9/20, full results can be found on the Phoenix Forum Axes 2012 post.

    Glad you enjoyed yourself, hope to see you again next year.

    Pete

    ReplyDelete